View Single Post
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 22:42   #19
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexExile View Post
On the other hand I've swapped my Honda CR-V for an XC60, I've found the step up in quality is quite noticeable. It's nice to get back to Volvo after a dalliance of few years elsewhere.
I have a 2016 CR-V and a 2017 XC90, both twin turbo automatic models. The Volvo has the better performance/economy compromise and the quieter engine. Both have too much road noise and if there was one thing I would greatly appreciate from Volvo it would be a very significant road noise reduction.

I could add a slightly more compliant suspension and softer seats.

FWIW I see no difference in quality between Honda and Volvo but do prefer the dash design of the Volvo, although the instruments and controls of the Honda are perfectly good. Obviously the Volvo is at a far higher price point with choice of interior materials and colour that is unavailable in the more mass-produced Honda, but that is not an indication of quality, more of a choice at a price.

As far as Volvo copying features, I hope that they continue to innovate and lead rather than follow, but if they are not competitive I will have no hesitation in moving to another brand. Currently I am looking at the new LR Defender 110 First Edition model which looks like comparatively reasonable value for money. Am unsure whether to buy my current Volvo at the end of its lease, next March, or order the Defender now for delivery March/April. Defender has the advantage of a heavier duty design that is rated to tow 3.5 tons, which I do need occasionally, and a probable high resale value in the short to medium term as long as the economy doesn't crash.