Thread: Spare Tyre Poll
View Single Post
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 10:16   #10
844PHW
Master Member

I'm all for choice but the options have to be available. To me, spacesavers and inflators are lazy design decisions. The real design challenge is to provide accommodation for a fullsize sparewheel while also fulfilling as far as possible a raft of other design requirements.
If all-out minimum weight is such a major emissions/environmental issue, cars should be banned from carrying passengers and should have fuel tanks that hold a maximum of 10 litres! I could go on.

The reasons why having a full size sparewheel is important include:
- Punctures occur. (ok, any workable solution would do for that one)
- There is a good chance a puncture will be too severe to be patchable by an inflator kit.
- There is a good chance that a puncture will occur when tyre centres are not open and/or in a place far from any such centre. This makes a spacesaver sparewheel doubly inconvenient. In any case there is a risk that the centre will not have the required type of tyre in stock (quite a high risk with the XC60).
- Full size sparewheels minimise the inconvenience of a puncture. You just swap with the spare and drive off as normal, not at a silly and possibly dangerously slow speed.

Reviewing the above and identifying what is not stated shows that there are actually quite a lot of issues needed to give the matter definitive coverage. However, that will have to do for now.

I do have a fullsize spare wheel for my XC60. So far I have already had one puncture, with a terminally damaged tyre, and it occurred at night. I am satisfied that having a fullsize spare wheel is the correct arrangement.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 844PHW For This Useful Post: