Thread: Engine 850: B5202S/2.0/10v: - Deleting the Secondary Air Pump
View Single Post
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 11:27   #4
stevepcar
Steve

Default Deleting SAS (Air Pump)

I dont know if it has been supplied on all cars, but the one I have is on a 2.0 litre 1996 850 10 Valve NA. They are not common on cars for the UK market, as they were designed for easier starting in colder countries & the US where they are mandatory in some states for emission controls.. I guess they are useful on the less than 1% of winter days in the south, that are below zero. I dont know why this car has it, but they are a very poor design, being mounted at the bottom of the car under the battery tray, susceptible to water & road dirt. They corrode badly & get filled with water then short out. A lot of people just delete them from the ECU by soldering in a diode between 2-of the terminals, which bypasses the control & makes the ECU think its still there, so no EML. I have done this but the EML still comes on & when reading the codes 4-4-2 shows up, which cites the Air Pump as being the fault. I have cleared the codes, but it comes back again. I am going to try unplugging the SAS to see if that cures it. Nobody else seems to have carried out this mod, so I am in the dark.
stevepcar is offline   Reply With Quote