Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 21:45   #60
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Volvo fitted the AW70 to later 240s so i see no reason why it shouldn't be more or less a straight swap Alan but you'll probably need the propshaft too.

I would leave the mirrors alone for a bit if i were you, mull it over and make your decision. They're kind of part of the character of the car, even if you changed them for some that weren't knocked out of adjustment so easily along the lines of what i suggested above or just ignored them when they were out of adjustment and relied on the door mirrors instead.
That aside, you could easily fit blind grommets in place of the bolt hole/screw holes or a blob of filler and spray it satin black to match the wing tops (it looks like satin black anyway) or go high-tech and mount cameras in the bolt holes with displays each end of the dash as extra mirrors.

Again, just food for thought!

Glad the diagram for the front fogs was helpful, the circuit will allow the front fogs to work on sidelights and dipped beam but not full beam. Even if you flash someone while on dipped beam with the fogs on, they will go out while main beam is activated then come back on when released.
Ah, cunning, so the link to terminal 85 works like a NAND gate, I had not appreciated that and it is quite clever. Once I have the existing setup apart I think I might be able to design a good working system around or and your design.

I'm seeing the Royal Barge as a very long term project, so the idea of converting the transmission to a 4 speeder might well be on the cards once I have it running nicely (only a few weeks away). I might start looking out for an AW70 gearbox at a good price. If it is a fairly straight swap then access looks good. In the meantime the Royal Barge is quite good fun.

The wing mirrors: you are right - I won't be too hasty. What is there is not offensive. When I take the driver's side wheel arch cover off to route the bonnet release properly I'll see how the mirrors are secured and decide what to do with them. My gut feeling is to get rid, but that might change.

I'm enjoying this project and can't wait to get on with the next job :-)

Alan
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote