Thread: XC60 Wi-Fi
View Single Post
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 09:38   #25
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by St James View Post
Silly question probably, but why would you want your car to connect to your home wifi?

Why sit outside your house to use the web, when you could just sit in the lounge with a laptop/iPad, etc?

I pick my XC60 up tomorrow and it has this Internet option in it (according to the salesman), but other than tethering to my mobile when I'm out and about, I probably won't ever use it, and even the tethering is likely to be used a negligible amount.

Am I missing something?

James
No you wouldn't need to connect to home the browser is very tedious to use but out in the field with nothing to hand could be very useful .
Yes you are missing something , The car can connect to the dealer to book services etc it will send any fault codes and messages with your request for a more efficient visit as they will have some idea of what to do and what parts they may need well before you arrive . Also from next year the car will auto connect as it drives into the dealer and the details will be on the technicians computer so he will be well prepared before he even sees the car . a very useful feature to have . Back in 1999 they were talking about this when they introduced ON-CALL , now it has arrived for real .