View Single Post
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 02:39   #9
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I think it has had quite two extensive bodywork restorations, but relatively little work mechanically. In fairness, the old iron engines are incredibly tough. There was an article in a classic mag a few months ago about whether the redblock might be, pound for pound, the toughest/strongest engine ever made. I have taken components to engineering firms who have been astounded by how hard the materials are, compared with what they're used to dealing with.

Interestingly, touch wood, my 2005 V70 D5 (with 275k on the clock) shows little or no sign of mechanical wear. I replaced a wishbone earlier this year because of a failed bushing. It was original, and had about 260k on it. I've had to replace them on 240s and 740s much earlier. The 5 speed gearbox which came out 10k ago (swapped for a 6 speed) also showed no notable signs of wear. The injectors wore out, but it's running much more happily now they've been replaced. I'm not convinced that the newer cars aren't as tough. Maybe the really new stuff isn't so well screwed together, but I think the D5 might just be the best built Volvo I've owned, and I've had a few.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote