View Single Post
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 14:59   #3
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

While I don't know this specific car, 'Clough89', I am familiar with the marque, having owned an almost identical car for three years in the early nineties. Mine was also a '78 (S), which I bought for £825 with 86K up, and selling for £300 with 110K.

I would have been very pleasantly surprised to discover that it would now be worth quite so much if I had decided to keep it. But to achieve that, I would also need to have preserved the car for almost 30 years - not simply park it up and forget about it!

Given that, and if I really wanted this car, I do not think the asking price unreasonable. But ... I would still hope to 'shake' at around £5K. I feel sure that, in anticipation, the seller will have incorporated some 'wiggle room' when deciding on his asking price.

If you do decide to buy, do bear in mind that - unless it has been modified - this car will be running with carburettor and points ignition. Unlike our earlier '75 (N) 244, I don't recall rust being a particular problem with this car, but as the steel is now well over 40 years old, that could still potentially be an issue in future. I don't imagine that you will be using the car for heavy load carrying, but I also found it advantageous in period to run 6-ply van tyres on the rear wheels.

Regards, John.