View Single Post
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 13:03   #243
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
Thanks! I ask mainly just as I don't have a frame of reference for how well the car is running in terms of performance.

I find it quite lively at lower speeds actually, and around town it's far from being the slowest car amongst a sea of modern and electric rubbish.

I do find it a bit breathless doing an uphill slip road onto the motorway but I may be asking a little much of it. I am not sure what BHP the high compression head and D cam combination outputs in the real world.

Interesting to note the ability to change wheels and essentially have the shorter diff. I have a set of spare wheels I could fit some cheap tyres to just to see how it feels.

At the moment I am quite enjoying how relaxed the cruising is at 60-70. In comparison to my partner's Toledo 1300 which must be doing 4-5k at 70 it's night and day.

I imagine it's doing sub 3000rpm at 70 which is brilliant.
Trawling through t'internet to try and find some figures, it seems the B18D with twin carbs and B cam produced ~95bhp and gave similar performance to an MGB of the time which, if memory serves was 0-60 in ~13s and top end ~100mph - these figures are slightly vague as i can't remember the MGB figures but know they were around those numbers.

A bit more usefully, i found an advert from c. 1964/5 that proudly announced the 122S returned 25+mpg. This might not sound like something to celebrate but those were US gallons, ~0.8 of an Imperial gallon so 30mpg should be realistic or at least very close to.

I had hoped to find a copy of something like a "Motor" road test with the figures recorded for performance but this was the best i could manage - hope they give a bit of insight!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: