View Single Post
Old Mar 30th, 2024, 19:08   #286
JonathanD
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilgorin View Post
Hang on, as someone who can't stand heated screens (I'm currently in a S60 courtesy car with one and it's giving me headaches after 20 minutes of driving - I can see the wires constantly with or without glasses, and at night the diamonding on oncoming lights is horrific) I assumed I had bought my last Volvo as they now all had heated screens given no Core cars are now sold in the UK (ignoring the XC40).

So if I were to buy at a later date an XC60, as long as it has HUD (which I would likely switch off) - I won't have a heated screen - is that correct?
It has never been possible to specify both heated windscreen and HUD together, rather one or the other or neither, so yes, if an XC60 has HUD it will definitely not have heated windscreen.

Looking at the current UK XC60 pricelist on the UK website, Model Year 2025 Edition 1, which still includes Core, Core comes with neither heated windscreen nor HUD, Plus comes with heated windscreen whereas Ultra comes with HUD. Heated windscreen can be added to Core as part of the optional Climate Pack. Heated windscreen is also an option, at no extra cost, on Ultra, in which case heated windscreen replaces HUD. However, HUD is not available on Core or Plus at all. So based on that you would have to get either Core and forego the optional Climate Pack (so no air purifier, heated rear seats or heated steering wheel either) or Ultra, with the middle ground Plus being absolutely out of the question for you.

Going back a few years and looking at the UK V90 pricelist Model Year 2018 Edition 3, Momentum/R-Design/Inscription/Cross Country all came with neither heated windscreen nor HUD. Momentum Pro/R-Design Pro/Inscription Pro/Cross Country Pro all came with heated windscreen. Heated windscreen was available on Momentum/R-Design/Inscription/Cross Country as part of the optional Winter Pack (along with heated steering wheel, heated washer nozzles and headlight cleaning system). HUD was an option on all models, with the caveat that if added to a Pro variant or in conjunction with Winter Pack heated windscreen was deleted and the HUD cost was reduced. Relevant to me as when I bought my V90 new five years ago, as someone who had appreciated the heated windscreen on a Ford Focus followed by three Ford Mondeos between 1999 and 2009, it was heated windscreen yes and HUD no from me!

What looking back does confirm, and it is a theme I have seen others mention on numerous occasions, is the effect of more fixing of model specs with less scope for flexibility these days. Just a few short years ago, you could spec any model of V90 with heated windscreen or you could spec any model of V90 with HUD. Now, while you can spec any model of XC60 with heated windscreen, you cannot spec an XC60 in the middle ground Plus trim level with HUD. Utterly illogical and frankly balmy to my way of thinking, but I guess it is what is called progress!