View Single Post
Old Mar 25th, 2021, 11:29   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek lemur View Post
Thanks LS and C. Yes, I was thinking that the assembly lube would keep everything in order....until a friend suggested that I spin the engine. I've given the inside of the block a good spray with light oil.

Interestingly, I haven't been able to add the flywheel, as the engine stand is blocking access. I soaked the rusty old thing for a few days in vinegar and it's come up grand!

Am currently rebuilding a pair of SUs, a dynamo and a starter motor and then I think I'll offer my engine for sale at the cost of parts and machining. Have enjoyed the process of rebuilding immensely. I had to work on my actual car the other day and it was horrible, lying on the floor, with all this stuff in the way!

The other alternative is to get a steering wheel and sit behind it, going "Brrmm Brmmmmm"
Just so i've understood this correctly, you've basically rebuilt the engine for the fun of it with no intention of fitting it to your car?

I think if i'd gone to that kind of trouble and expense, i would at least fit it to my car (then perhaps sell the old unit) and enjoy the fruits of my labour. Even if you fitted it so the car was mobile while you rebuilt the original engine for refitment and put a few miles on it to "prove" it and then refitted the original once rebuilt and sold it, at least you would have some use from it.

As for your friend suggesting turning it over, i'm guessing you know the crank turns freely as you would have used Plastigage to check/adjust the clearance on the mains and big ends as you did the rebuild?
If so, no real need to turn it over now and disperse that thick assembly lube.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote