View Single Post
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 10:18   #5
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM241 View Post
Mike;
You are quite correct in that the van you are proposing to buy is very close to the kerbside weight of your towcar - in fact as far as a calculator goes you are at 100%. The 85% kerside weight is not actually law but an advice over the years on safe towing and stability which seems to have been universally adopted by the towing and legal communities. There used to be an argument amongst traffic officer ( 14 years experience) that although the 85% is not law, there are other laws that could be used. The plate you refer to under the bonnet is the plate that Traffic / Vosa officers use to determine your legal weights. If one subtracts the Max weight (2000kg) from the Train weight (3600kg) you are left with 1600kg. So in theory you are legally allowed to tow a van up to 1600kg. My experience tells me you would have a devils own job in keeping below the rear axle weight of 1010kg ( column 4 on your plate) - and dont forget that is legally enforceable, if you did exceed it you would be Prohibited from driving the combination. It does not take much to go over the rear axle limits. The speed restriction you refer to in the handbook is obviously a Volvo imposed one and has no legal standing. Hope this helps.
Dave
hi dave
thanks for your input. i have been caravaning for about 30 years now and with that combination i would not feel comfertable. so looks like its back to the drawing board. i dont want to change the car as the car is very good at the moment.
thanks
mike
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote