View Single Post
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 22:49   #3
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
Not the most conclusive of responses incoming but I've had five P2 cars (an 02 T5 Geartronic, an 05 V70R manual, a 163bhp D5 manual, a 185bhp D5 Geartronic and another 163bhp D5 manual) and one P3 car (an 08 XC70 manual) and whilst my experience with the P3 wasn't that great as it had issues from the word go and thus, it didn't last long... I'd definitely say the P3 isn't as well put together as the P2 cars. The switch gear feels flimsy, disappointingly so and more so the likes of the window switches which are just nasty. Under the skin too, they seem to a little less well engineered with cheaper fasteners and components and then there's the fact they're much more complex too.

Granted, nice cars and I'm sure a good one would be fine and in many ways my XC70 was superb. Massive, comfortable and the AWD is much better / more reliable than the P2 cars with their chocolate angle gear sleeves and such like and thus I can totally see the appeal but I get the feeling that you'd need to buy the best of the best with no underlying issues to save any heartache. As for how they go, mine was a 185bhp D5 and it was pretty dour to be honest. Granted they weigh a lot but the whole drive was very numb, which some may relish but I just felt it was a big, heavy old Hector that didn't feel as robust as the P2 cars and thus, I felt it'd be a lot dearer to run and repair.

The P2 cars are good, not without issue and I wouldn't take another Geartronic by choice. They're just flawed boxes and even when working, they always feel lethargic and dim witted. A petrol version does offer good value for money... I looked at a couple of 2.4 N/A's but ultimately the MPG and drivability of the D5 is hard to ignore and the 163bhp is arguably the most solid with no swirl flaps, DPF and such like though not without faults of its own. I'd really only consider a D5 for higher miles or a T5... the MPG isn't much worse than a petrol N/A when cruising along but far more engaging when you're not. The P2 XC70 is a strong choice but again, age and neglect means many will have underlying AWD issues that can be costly (my V70R nearly ruined me!) to rectify but they do make a lot of sense as a do it all sort of machine. I'd also actively avoid cars with 4C... it's utterly crap and expensive when it goes wrong. I had it on my XC and I've yet to figure out what purpose it served. The R had it and it was basically three modes... harsh, intolerable and frankly ridiculous, even one four new, eye wateringly dear shocks. Granted "frankly ridiculous" mode came in to its own on the track but in the real world, it was just nasty and forever flagging up failure messages.

A nice P2 would be my choice at that budget, £3k will buy a very nice one whereas in P3 terms... I think you'd be at the high mileage / rough end of the market and I just think the P3 is a nicer car all round, feels better built, solid and the seats are better too. Granted they're getting on a bit now but a good one won't feel like that at all. I've just bought a 2004 D5... it's done 244,000 miles and yet looks, feels and drives very well. In fact I've yet to find a squeak or a rattle... the only hint at the mileage is a shiny steering wheel and gearknob plus a bit torn stitching on the drivers bolster. A 240,000 miles P3 would feel like it'd done five times that.

Good luck, happy hunting!
Not sure about the P numbers !

Experience with my company cars

1995 850 GLT estate 2.0, a "hand me down" ; fine, woefully underpowered
1998 V70 SE 2.5; OK, good quality but why not a 20V one ?
2001 V70 2.5- 170; fast, awful wheel size/ tyre size for the weight, poor grip, very poor interior design, dodgy engine electronic peripherals ( recall in the US but not in Europe) and woeful build quality
2004 V70 D5 SE ( privately bought due to a change in company car policy). Nice car, but unreliable electronics; to the extent that the local dealer ( who I had bought it from new) suggested it that it had been underwater !

Then 9 years later the 2015 V60 Polestar.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamHR For This Useful Post: