View Single Post
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 15:41   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Martin View Post
Hi,

I'm wishing to retrofit the optional large GLT rear spoiler to my '88 360 GLE hatch. It appears to be secured to left and right sides of the tailgate with two bolts each side, plus one bolt in the centre, in line with the 3rd rear brake light/boot lock (therefore five in total). Inside the tailgate I can see two little 'cut outs' each side which will be where the holes have to go, however this appears as four 'caps' which seem to be welded on, and with no such one in the centre.

I've looked at pics of cars with the rear spoiler so fitted, but obviously as this involves drilling through metalwork, I cannot afford to mess it up. Could anyone advise as to the best way to go forward with this, measurements between bolt holes for drilling etc?

Thanks
yes you twist off those pressings on the inside of the tailgate they snap off easily . you have to judge the centre where to drill the hole ! there was a solid drill guide tool which fitted in there . unlikely to find one now though.
Just put a dab of paint on the end of each stud and with someone's help drop it onto the top in the correct position first go to mark the holes!