View Single Post
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 15:40   #203
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
There was a software upgrade at service time last year that now enables the e-dipstick (on my model, at least) to register the addition of oil without needing to drive 30km. I had no trouble seeing the effect that adding 0.25L made to the displayed level without even starting the engine.

The physical dipstick is fine for owners who want to check it regularly and don't mind getting their hands dirty. I'm guessing however that many don't wish to and - like me - are happy to put their trust in a system that puts up a simple message when oil needs to be added, and telling you how much. Even more useful (essential, perhaps?) in engine designs where oil consumption is to be expected, something that seems to be the case in modern low-friction engines.

In my case I'm not lazy and I'm happy to get my hands dirty but I rarely park our cars anywhere level to check a dipstick. I do find checking our Sportage a minor nuisance as it has no electronic level sensor.
I don’t trust electronic dipsticks. Give me a physical one any day. I don’t mind lifting the bonnet.

Even cars with physical dipsticks will tell you when the oil is low.