View Single Post
Old May 19th, 2021, 20:46   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordracula View Post

I bought 3 litre of diesel and then added 2 litres of some spare cheap oil to the mix, shook it about, then dumped my old oil out and replaced it with the diesel mix. Ran the engine for 20 mins and dumped all that crap out and replaced it with 20w50 mineral oil. Now about 300 miles later my car is running much smoother and no oil light and rarely rattles on start-up now. It's not perfect but the oil is staying very clean so far which surprised me. The diesel/oil flushing mix though not recommended is far more effective and affordable than that snake oil you buy from the motor factors. I'm going to do it again in a month's time to keep flushing the crap out of it.

I was tempted to sell the car when I first posted but to be honest it's redeemed itself quite well, I didn't think it would come back to life like it has and it is a pleasure to drive. I don't worry at all now I've done the diesel flush.

TLDR

1. VVT Rattle? Unplug your VVT solenoid.

2. Oil pressure light? Flush engine with diesel/oil 60/40 mix then re-assess.
Instead of using 20W50 mineral oil, try either the recommended oil or 10W40 semi-synth, whichever is heavier when you next do an oil change. However, for the first 0.5L into the sump, replace it with Carlube ATF-U so that's 0.5L of ATF-U then top up to the level with 10W40 semi-synth.

Works a treat on Honda VTEC and any engines with hydraulic tappets. Keeps things clean, moving, rubber seals supple and many other things. I use it all the time in both of my beasts, only one of which has hydraulic tappets. However i do know many that use it to help the VTEC keep working.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote