Thread: Orange Care Key
View Single Post
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 22:18   #9
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
No, I think this is right, its something that annoys me a bit with my new car.

So with my previous XC90 I got two keys plus the activity key. With the new car I've got 1 normal key, one orange key and an activity key. The orange key as far as I can tell is next to useless, its there for the rare occasion that someone else drives my car and I don't want them to have the normal key (which I've always been happy for them to have in the past). I thought I could just use the orange key like a normal key, as I quite like the colour, but no, it can't be assigned to a driver profile, so no setting can be saved against it. I'm just going to have to use the normal key and the activity key, the activity key I like, but you can't use it to light the car when you're approaching in the dark etc..

Essentially, you only get one key now, and a waste of time orange key. I know you can buy additional keys, but I'm imagining they are not cheap, anyone know?

:wq
Yep, this is correct and we had the same problem. The orange key is essentially useless. The activity key WILL accept a driver profile but the activity key is designed to be sealed and the battery cannot easily be changed so that's not a long term solution.

You can buy a new key - my dealer quoted [drum roll...] £375

Cue the dealer having a bit of a think. A fair chunk of that cost is for a new key blade. However the key blade from the orange key can be swapped to the new key. Also there's a non-leather covered key available. Add a bit of discount for being a loyal customer and I think I paid c.£165 for the new key.