Thread: TRACS/ABS: 70: - ABS at slow speeds
View Single Post
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 11:21   #11
Martin Cox
VOC Member

These are the rings I used on my 1998 V70 Tdi auto about 18 months ago.

https://www.ukpartsdirect.com/abs-pr...ring-1005.html

They've been absolutely fine to date and were easy enough to fit so I can recommend them.

Although I never had any ABS related problems, the MoT man, quite rightly, didn't like the look of them and listed them as an advisory.

One ring split but still didn't cause any problem but it was high time they went. When I took the old rings off they literally fell to pieces. After cleaning up the surface of the CV joint where the ring is seated, I warmed the rings with a hot air gun and they tapped easily into place with a small tack hammer and a block of wood. I didn't use the retaining fluid, which may turn out to be a mistake, but I certainly didn't need it to hold them in place.

If the driveshaft hasn't been previously separated from the hub, I believe they can be an absolute pig to get apart since the splines may be glued into the hub. Mine were no problem since the local Volvo dealer had already had the pleasure of dismantling them when the CV boots were replaced a few years ago.

As for tools, axle stands and a suitable jack for getting them under the car, a suitable socket for the driveshaft nut or bolt (mine had the large 36mm nut) and maybe a breaker bar, a torque wrench and I think I used a ball joint splitter too to separate the track rod end from the steering knuckle. Otherwise the usual assortment of metric spanners and sockets ought to be adequate

If you gain access to the CV joints by disconnecting the strut from the steering knuckle as I did, you'll need replacement nuts and bolts for reassembly. I found I didn't need to remove the driveshafts from the car and was able to replace the rings with them in situ, taking care not to pull on the shaft. A few tinks from a pin hammer when fitting the rings are unlikely to do much harm.

I didn't need to remove the ABS sensor from the steering knuckle but you may have to disconnect the cable. If you do, only pull on the connector, not the cable. No prizes for guessing how I know.

All in all, the job turned out to be easier than I'd expected and I've had no further trouble to date.

Hope this is of some interest.

Martin 1998 V70 Tdi auto 227,000 miles

Last edited by Martin Cox; Mar 8th, 2021 at 11:28.
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post: