View Single Post
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 12:45   #9
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatmat View Post
Hi all,

I recently picked up a 2006 XC70 D5 (manual 185hp facelift version) and wanted to get a couple of opinions on some issues. I've been doing some digging and lurking on this forum has been invaluable so far, thanks so much!

I went from a '92 940 to a 2019 V60 and now back to an XC70 so my sense of how it should be running is a little skewed (plus, the only other manuals I've been using for the last 5 years are motorbikes so the difference between an 11,500rpm redline and 4,500 took some getting used to for the first few miles ).

For background, the car has 166k miles on it and a fairly extensive collection of service receipts going back to 2011. Unfortunately, the last owner had it for two years and remarked how he liked it because he hadn't had to do anything to it and it still ran 'fine' - turns out, that included any servicing. Was cheap though!

The issues I'm having are all fairly common by the sounds of it - very rough start and lumpy idle on cold start (but sounds steady and fine as soon as it warms up a little). Also, drop in power either past 2,500rpm in second gear pulling off traffic lights, or on the motorway if I need to slow before overtaking on a hill etc (the drive from Leeds to Peterborough on the A1 the other day wasn't too fun!). It would just end up having to drop a few gears and hold at around 55mph until the road flattens out then has no issue pulling back up to 70+.

'Engine Service Required' light is on permanently, and an OBD scanner picks up 0101 and 0299. It also picked up 2015 but that seems to have gone since I had a service done.

After reading here about the usual fixes I started to take a look at some of the easier to access components and found that there was no swirl flap arm to be seen but also the MAF sensor appears to be different from most I've seen on YouTube etc. It was the type with no security screws to remove the sensor from the housing and labeled part no. 0281006184. Googling brought up results for the later model XC90.

Looking at the service history, there is a receipt from 2014 for a whole new swirl flap / throttle wire (part no. 30777650) along with a note saying the arm was missing. New turbo seals in 2016 and a new intercooler pipe in 2018 (part no. 30794888). Weirdly, no receipt for that MAF.

So my plan is - replace the swirl flap arm and clean out the (presumably) gunky EGR pipework. My questions would be:

- Any advice on that MAF? I haven't tried to clean it yet but can anyone foresee an issue with that part number being different from the other style I've seen on these engines? I'm happy to replace but obviously only if needed.

- Given the symptoms, fault codes, and service history, does anyone with more experience think that points to any other issues?

I'm not asking for a full diagnosis here, but would be interesting to hear any thoughts on something I might have missed. I'm actually getting a DICE & VIDA next week so any suggestions would be fantastic.

Other than that, the P2 XC70s have always been on my bucket list and probably my favourite (aesthetically at least) 'modern' Volvos along with the 480. So I'm keen to put up with whatever it throws at me, perhaps to a fault (pun intended).
I haven't bothered to trawl through the replies to your query but a MAF sensor going south is quite noticeable (flat spots on acceleration) and easy to fix.