View Single Post
Old Jan 19th, 2024, 11:40   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Bryn;

Consider yourself (somewhat) lucky!...indeed, it is only the lead itself which has broken, and it doesn't (yet!) mean the Coil/Armored Cable/ Ign Sw Assembly needs to be replaced...this happens when corrosion locks the lead and socket metals together...and the force to remove the connector exceeds its breaking force (it happens, as you now well know and have experienced!).

It does not look like the Coil is fatally damaged...the first thing I would recommend is adding a few drops of penetrant oil, then carefully drilling a hole into the (CENTER!) remains of the connector (luckily likely soft brass), into which a screw (like a long drywall screw) could be threaded, which would have hold of the remains, and to which some pulling force could be imparted (from locking on with a locking style pliers, to interfacing to a sliding type hammer), and gently extracting the remains. Don't drill too deep obviously, into the works, but I expect the combination of lube and shock from drilling will loosen its bond, so its just a matter of getting some purchase on it to extract the remains...that's what I'd do...

Good Hunting! (...and a friendly piece of advice to all owners: Keep that connector lubed with a light film of just about any kind of grease (to my favorite: ACZP) to prevent this from happening! Don't let the fact that it is an electrical connection stop you from remembering that all mechanical issues are still very much in play!)

Finally, know thine own strength when working on old, sometimes brittle, sometimes corroded car components!

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Jan 19th, 2024 at 11:42.
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote