Thread: 1800: - 1972 pv1800es
View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2021, 15:58   #16
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It looks a nice car and i share the feeling, might be a few bits to sort out but nothing major. If memory serves the overdrive only works on 4th and apparently pushing the clutch about halfway down when engaging/disengaging the OD is recommended from what i remember of my 145 handbook (same box/overdrive i think) to help ease the "shock" as it engages/disengages.

If i had the money/time/space etc i'd probably go after the gold one but would have to convert it to auto. As i have none of those things it's still fair game! Apparently really nice ones can hit about £30k.................................
My friend had been looking for a P1800 for some time (she drives a modern Volvo D-somethingorother). I saw that one in an auction the other day with just a few hours to go and sent her a link. I’m really pleased that she got the car (and for what appears to be a very sharp price - I’d told her it would still be cheap at £12,500 and okay at £15,000 prior to her bidding).

It is no secret that the sale price was only £11,200 (I’d have probably bought it myself at that price if my friend had not wanted it) - and I think it looks like a really nice car. If the seller is genuine (and my friend says he appears to be so) then the car will suit her down to the ground. I’ve suggested my friend might put aside a recommissioning fund of £2,000 (parts only, I’m happy to work on the car gratis) to cover anything unexpected - and maybe a few subtle improvements.

I understand (this is third hand) that the car has been locked away in a garage this past two years, but it has been started every month and the seller took it for a couple of miles drive last week - he does not report any issues. He says the tyres are good and will check fluids and air before Thursday. I’m thinking a bit of a drive back will do it good, it would be about an hour and a half back from Stoke. It would be a good idea to avoid motorways I think - and I’ll bring my rigid tow bar just in case!

I can’t see a radio in the car (from the photos). If there isn’’t one discretely hidden away then I’m thinking it would be a pity to spoil the interior now; it might be a better idea to fit a powered Bluetooth speaker so my friend can just link her cell phone to it. What do you think?

I’m looking forward to Thursday, and I really hope the motor car is as described. I rather hope that I might get to work on it in the same way that I do the RB, and perhaps even drive the P1800 from time to time.

Last edited by Othen; May 9th, 2021 at 16:09. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: