View Single Post
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 23:42   #165
V8XCV

It depends a lot on how far down you run your tyres. I always change my winter/all seasons at 5mm as below that there is a massive loss of performance in the colder weather. The wear limit for a 3 peak marked tyre is 4mm, below that is it no longer rated as suitable for extreme conditions.

My usual method for the all seasons is to fit the new set in the autumn so you get the best of the tyre over the winter, then it runs down in summer and replace at 10-15k in the autumn again.

What kind of conditions do you drive in? We encounter a lot of snow/ice so winter biased all season and winter tyres suit us best.

If you only get occasional icy conditions, then something like a crossclimate might suit you better and you can run it lower than 4mm (although you lose some of the performance).

In head to head testing I found the goodyear allseason to be as good as a winter tyre in most conditions. I was driving on un-ploughed roads than were 10" deep in the Tiguan and no hint of slipping.

So I would recommend an all season and change it at 5mm if you want the winter performance.

I've been running winter tyres since 2009 and noticed a huge difference in the performance of tyres over that time from my first Vredestein Snowtrac 2 up to the Continental TS860 (unbelievably good tyre in all weather) and all seasons now are far better than the top end winter tyres were 10 years ago.

I would say the Goodyear Vector gen 2 are as good as the Goodyear Ultragrip 8 that I ran in 2011.

V70 T5 (1996)
V70 P2 D5 EUIII (2002)
XC90 V8 4.4 (2007)
V8XCV is offline   Reply With Quote