View Single Post
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 06:31   #10
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
Now I am recalling how many different breakers I called up and asked for a blower motor power stage for 1994 850. I am sooooo hoping they knew what I was on about. Blimey!!
I'm sorry, somehow I doubt it. I didn't. It was at sight of a power-resistor and 'Faulty diagnostic signal from blower fan power stage'... only then it was clear.

I'm still not sure I see your concern re: sourcing from a LHD variant, unless you know something I don't. Suggest you leap to source say a wheel-bearing and all other obviously non-handed parts from a LHD car, and be very happy.

I think you have this down anyway, however here we go.

Control-stage /low-current stage = The 5V (or lower stuff). Sensors/stats, MAP/ drive-by-wire, control knobs, all the kit that feeds the IC/printed circuitry etc. Inputs into the ECU. Minimal current. Milliiamps. Likely all lumped together on one fuse.

Power-stage / high-current stage = All the grunty stuff at 12V taht would cook ICs/ ECU/chips etc. Motors, rear heated screen, window-motors, anything much over 250mA. This stuff each gets its own 5A - 30A fuse.

Your resistor likely carries 10Amps+. That'll be what the heat-sink is doing. All this stuff is power-stage. Most of it separated by relay from control-stage.. Therein, the function of relays.... separation. These relays, fired by control-stage. Else every switch on your dash would feel like it'd been lifted from a 1960s Land-rover. Operate, more akin to a high-current immersion-heater switch 'clonk'. It's awful, I drive mine most days, the worst car on the road, and I love it - mine requires both feet on the dash to heave the interior-light switch to 'ON'.
Back in the day, a bloke with a Brummie accent said "Hoo nayds an Aye Say U eny why?" and the unions called "Out bruvvers, Out!" at the mere suggestion. This put the Great in Britain, when they went back, it wasn't there.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Dec 9th, 2021 at 08:16.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote