View Single Post
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 18:55   #5
Navy850

Thank you ALL so much for replying.

I think this started with me checking the DTC codes when the blower packed up. It was throwing 419 so I checked my Haynes which indicated 'Faulty diagnostic signal from blower fan power stage' and iirc 418 is 'No control signal to blower fan power stage'. After some web searching I discovered it was the resistor pack which apparantly, I read somewhere, is a basic chopper circuit.
I understand there is constant 12v on the thick blue wire and the power stage (resistor) varies the ground. Iirc a oscilloscope is needed to measure the digital signal from the head unit which is way out of my league. I have read many posts where the mosfet has been replaced successfully and some posts with equal failures. Since there is 12v permanently hot all the time (key out) I am scared to mess around replacing mosfets for fear of a fire.

I called Doves (Volvo dealership, Croydon) and was told the part number is now discontinued and my best bet was to search a salvage yard. Most scrap dealers around my end have closed (price of land) and the few I went to have no 850's.

I travel to Dunstable a few times a year.

Is Frf in Swansea a main dealer?

I am swaying towards buying a second hand unit on ebay and somehow making it fit.....thanks Rolling Thunder I was thinking the parts are similar with the only difference being lhd and rhd but happy to take a punt at £30.

Sadly, I only ever focus on this problem when the cold days set in.

Thanks again
Andre
Navy850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Navy850 For This Useful Post: