Thread: 940 Holiday
View Single Post
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 01:29   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I mostly use Sainsbury's because it's cheaper and I often do my weekly food shop there. Funnily enough, my current next preference is Esso and I understand their super unleaded is supposed to still be ethanol free. I think I get slightly more MPG from the real Esso petrol but I've not measured it conclusively.

I also occasionally use Shell and Tesco but not often enough to have an opinion.

I never use BP after getting a dodgy tankful from them once which caused all sorts of problems including lighting the lambda lamp.
I normally do my food shopping at Sainsburys too, one of usually 3 stores depending what else i happen to be doing. Only one doesn't have a filling station but i usually have to detour to the BP for that one or pass it for at least one of the others that does.
For many years, Sainsburys were tied to BP (hence getting Nectar points for those years on BP as well) and have now switched allegiance to Esso (hence now getting Nectar points on Esso) and i never had any trouble either with Sainsburys or BP but Sainsburys was cheaper and gave the same economy.
About 2-3 (maybe more) years ago when they switched to Esso, my economy plummeted and not just on my 760 - my 827 Sterling was in regular use as well then and the economy on that dropped to ~22mpg as well from the usual 32-33mpg.
Then i twigged about Nectar points now being on Esso fuel so filled up with BP and the economy returned on both cars. To prove the point, i filled up with Esso and it dropped, then BP then Sainsburys, Esso and back to BP and since then have stuck with BP for all my cars - and lawnmower!

Seriously, the lawnmower will do 4 cuts of my back lawn on a tank of BP Ultimate but only 3 on anything else! You wouldn't think a 198cc, 3.5hp single cylinder carbed engine would show a difference but it does and as the tank on it is just under a litre, i don't mind filling it up to cut the grass!

In case you're wondering, yes, even the lawnmower dropped the economy when Sainsburys first switched to Esso and i hadn't realised!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: