View Single Post
Old Mar 14th, 2022, 21:38   #607
Chris152

Bit of a delay while I had a few things to sort, but we seem to be returning to some semblance of normality at last. The main thing is, the lad passed his driving test, we got insurance sorted, and he's now happy as Larry driving here there and everywhere in his lovely car.

MoT is later this week, and we're trying to sort an odd thing. The brake light in the tailgate window wasn't coming on, so we changed the bulb - worked fine to test with the tailgate open, but not with it shut. Several minutes fiddling later and we realised that it works fine with the tailgate wide open, but as we lower it a couple of inches, it stops working. That's not much good. With the gate wide open, we can wiggle the cables going into the tailgate from the body, and the wires apearing from the tailgate to connect to the light, and the light still works perfectly. Lower it a couple of inches and it goes out again.

I guess it must be the wires (we tested the actual bulb holder by connecting the bulb/ wire setup Loki made for us to the terminals disconnected from the unit and it's exactly the same problem), but given we can wiggle all the wires with the gate wide open and it still functions perfectly, why would gently lowering the gate by a couple of inches cause it to stop?! They have slack, so it's not pulling on them as far as we can see. And I seem to remember seeing a receipt for the wires to the tailgate to be re-routed, which I think some do to overcome a common fault of the cables breaking? Maybe I made that up.

Can anyone suggest any tests we can do to establish where the connection's being lost? Or has anyone else had such a problem and knows the solution?

Thanks for any thoughts, C
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post: