Thread: V50 Engine 2.0D : - Advice needed V50 D3 2011
View Single Post
Old May 28th, 2022, 11:34   #3
Gordo73

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
That’s an interesting explanation, especially where they say ‘timing out or valves bent’…. They should not change the belts without doing the timing, as the timing will be out. And doing the timing is a 15 minute job to find TDC on cylinder 1. It sounds as though they just ‘put the belts on and drove it’.

Similarly if the valves are bent in any way shape or form that’s also a 15-30 minute test. Simply undertake a compression test, if it passes ok and if not then you need to have it stripped down and inspected.

If it were me I would

1). Take it to a highly skilled mechanic to review explaining all of this (it won’t be a 15 minute job now as mechanic will have to get belts off to time but can probably do compression test).

2). If there is any damage then I wouldn’t bother repair given the high cost and 110k distance. I would simply jumk the engine and install a replacement.

I would also ask how they know the belt jumped a few tooth?
Apologies maybe didn’t explain as best as I could. When the car got recovered to garage they inspected it and found teeth on the belt missing so it had jumped/slipped. When they replaced the belts and tensioners they realigned the timing etc. before firing it back up.

As for compression testing I’ve honestly no idea if they checked it?

So if you don’t think the head is worth rebuilding what sort of money is there in a replacement lump. It pains me to think about scrapping a car in such good condition but there’s got to be a cut-off where it just isn’t worth doing any more on it.

Cheers
Gordo73 is offline   Reply With Quote