View Single Post
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 11:01   #13
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Default Safety concerns

Been following the discussion 'L.S.' and would commend you as always not only for your patience, profound knowledge and sage advice, but more especially for your safety warning.

I shuddered when I read that 'SalvadorP' was happily removing the cap from his expansion tank on a hot, pressurised system with no concern for his safety. At the very least, and only in an emergency situation, I would cover the cap with a towel and remove the cap very slowly, but the best advice by far is, as you said, always to allow the engine to cool down fully before removing the cap.

It is true that we all have to start somewhere, and 'SalvadorP' is wise to tap into the font of knowledge that is available on the forum. The willingness to help and generosity of members like yourself is second to none and I am sure much appreciated by those who, like 'SalvadorP', have reason to be grateful for it.

But it is not just cooling systems that can trip up the unwary. How many people know never to go under a car supported only by a jack? I have also seen a car list markedly when the bricks supporting it in lieu of axle stands crumbled unexpectedly. 50 years ago, I had a friend who sustained serious burns to his wrist when the the metal band of his watch shorted a 6V battery to earth.

Only recently, another friend, a professional mechanic who should have known better, needed hospital treatment for an eye injury sustained when working underneath a car without suitable eye protection.

I personally have had a battery EXPLODE while on trickle charge in my garage. It threw part of the casing the length of the garage, and the spilt acid did no favours for the bench on which it was standing or the toolbox on the floor below. Not much I could do about preventing that one, but I was very glad that I was not in the garage at the time!!

Cars can be hazardous things, particularly if one is unfamiliar with any potential dangers associated with the task on which they are engaged. I believe such knowledge is at least as important as knowing how to centralise a clutch plate, for example. Thank you for pointing it out on this occasion!

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Jul 31st, 2021 at 11:04.
john.wigley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post: