View Single Post
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 08:00   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post
It's ok. I don't know anything about car mechanics but i want to learn. Your explanation is helpful.
You are right, one can get carried away with the self diagnosis. I don't have a tendency for hypochondria, but i expect to go through a bit of a phase until i learn enough about mechanics to start connecting the dots. And i will.
Going through a bit of a phase is fine but avoid the temptation of snap-diagnosis. For example, the previous owner of my car had the engine oil cooler removed because it "was leaking ATF". The real problem was he'd already bodged the spaceship bushes on the lower control arms and as a result, the steering rack was no longer in the centre when the steering wheel was in the straight ahead position. This meant the PAS was always working (not just when it's needed like normal) so the PAS fluid was boiling and bubbling up and out of the pump/reservoir (combined unit on mine) and dribbling down onto the component below it which - you've guessed it - was the engine oil cooler.
New spaceship bushes, steering rack centred, wheels aligned - no more leaks!

Took me 4 years to find a replacement oil cooler (NOS in Sweden, found courtesy of a friend on the Rover 800 forum, native Swede and he doesn't own or even like Volvos) which was probably the last new one in captivity in the world. Took another year to get the nipple (hollow nut to secure the cooler and mount the filter on) which is used from a dead engine. Just waiting for the right weather and a few other things to be right so i can get on and fit it now.

I have many other examples of incorrect snap-diagnosis provided by the previous owner of mine, thankfully all sorted now but it hopefully demonstrates the potential problems.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote