View Single Post
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 13:33   #6
H20 VOLVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesto2606 View Post
Thank you for your response, I think it was quite a while since I checked my tyres (end of July) before my MOT.

I have left the garage this morning without having the work done, I think they fitted a rubber valve to the tyre and they left the original part in the centre console. I believe this is the TMPS valve fitting which connects to the computer tyre pressure warning system.

I've asked my dad to try and source that part to see if its a little more reasonable than £250 (plus fitting)

Next challenge is to get the other three caps off without damage. Thanks for the advice, I went in to panic mode in the garage I thought I was looking at a £1600 bill just to be able to leave.

Lesson to self.... just have rubber / plastic caps in future

Well, without trying to sounding harsh, the first lesson should be to check your tyres pressures more often and not leave for nearly 5 months. The lack of use, and probably the increased heat in the wheel due to lower pressures might have contributed to the metal ones sticking on. You are supposed to check every week really, but in practice every 2 weeks would suffice. They won't stick on then either.

Anyway, the TPMS valve might be available from other places, but might need re-pairing back to the car when fitted - dealer job possibly.

Soaking the other caps in WD40/GT85 might help - spray onto the ends of the valves, and they should run down the thread to the cap hopefully. Leave overnight and be careful with overspray on brakes obviously (use the straw for it). If not, a gentle bit of heat and pliers might do it. Worst case, a small Dremmel or Multi-Tool to slice the cap in half (carefully).

A local tyre place might be able to help if not and will also probably give you a better deal on tyres, although they may have to order in the exact ones required, but usually can get same day or with 24hrs.
H20 VOLVO is offline   Reply With Quote