View Single Post
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 14:21   #225
Juular

Lots of progress on this recently.

I put together a K-Jet pressure test rig using parts bought from eBay. The total cost was around £30 rather than the £100+ for the prebuilt version.

I stripped down the WUR, cleaned everything and made it adjustable as per the common recommendation.

Testing the base system pressure : as you can see it's a little low as it should be around the 5.3-5.5 bar mark.

I added a copper washer to the main pressure regulator to act as a shim.

That's better.

Next up, testing the cold pressure at the WUR. It started off at 4 Bar which is a smoking gun as to my starting problem. At 4 bar it's going to be ridiculously lean on a cold start, and it should be more like 0.6 bar at the ambient temperatures.

I tapped down the adustment pin using a hammer.

That's closer. I tapped it down a little bit more and got it right on 0.6 bar.

Next, the warm pressures. I fed 12V to the WUR heater strip from the battery and watched the pressures rise.

3.2 bar, not far off. I gave the regulator a tap on the big end and it went up to around 3.4 bar which I'm happy with.

The result:

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/fKHXSVHoy8A[/YOUTUBE]

A perfect cold start! The car also pulls a lot better now, I can only assume the mixture was off across the board.

Of course this car likes to keep flinging stuff at me. While road testing I noticed one of the front wheel bearings becoming very noisy.

That got replaced, I'm very grateful that's a DIY job and I didn't need to get the new bearings pressed in.

Next up, making the car a bit more presentable. It was stuck under a tree next to the coast and insects, tree sap, bitumen and who knows what else were baked into the paint. I'd made this worse with grinding dust, coffee cup rings and duct tape.

Wash.

Clay bar.

Then sorting the rear arches; sanding, filler, primer, more sanding, etc.

A bit of rattlecan.

It's not perfect, but it's not bad either.

Other side.

Now onto the scuttle and windscreen surround. This is what greeted me around there.

I can't recommend Bilt Hamber stuff at all now, it has failed absolutely everywhere I have used it. In some cases the rust has actually become worse than it was before I painted it.

I stripped all that back again and dealt with it properly.

Filler, primer, sanding etc.

Rattlecan.

It's not perfect, but the car is on a different planet now to where it was.

Now just the sills, boot and some bits of the doors to paint.
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post: