View Single Post
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 12:34   #1
JMallows

Default 240 GL odometer - no gear/cog - and dash led lighting

Hi all, recently acquired an 88 240 estate 2.0l, owned by same owner since 1991. I'll start another thread soon to put some pictures up, but enjoying it so far!

I've know that the odo needs a new gear for about ten years - we just didnt get round to fixing it... Anyway, when i knew i was getting the car, instead of just ordering the parts to fix, i thought it would be best to count the number of teeth first, just to make sure i get the right cogs... I realise now that there was only one type it would have been so should have just ordered the parts...

So, i've taken the old cog out, and removed the one broken tooth from inside the mechanism, and counted the teeth, ordered the new cogs. Basically the question is, can i drive the car with the old cog missing from the speedo, or will it all fall apart with out the broken cog to hold the other parts in place!?

Secondly, was thinking about changing the dash lights for led versions. Is this ok, i'm not fully up to speed on the bulb failure warning system, will a low load/current draw led fool the warning system, and cause me problems, or can i change all the bulbs ok?

Thanks very much!

p.s anyone near Aberystwyth?
JMallows is offline   Reply With Quote