Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 00:29   #1736
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
In the discussion above people were talking about re-bodying 240s that were too far gone to save. That is well beyond what is rational...it would always make sense to find a better 240 in the first place (in my humble opinion).
Fair point, but if you want a car of a particular spec, that might be the only way to actually get one (even if it's not authentic). When did you last see an 82 (or even 83/84) GLT in decent order, never mind one for sale? Early GLTs are incredibly rare now. I know of the whereabouts of one 83 245 GLT, but I can't remember the last time I saw another B23E car. You see far more older but lower-spec examples.

One of my friends has done a huge amount of work to a late 80s 245 to turn it into an early car...partly for fun (that's the irrational part, I suppose), but on a more practical level because it's really hard work finding one that's actually any good in the first place. I think he bought and scrapped at least one early 245 with endless hidden rust before giving up and converting a later car. There were definitely 'bad eras' for 240s...some of the early cars rusted like hell, and they also seemed bad circa 1985. There was a similar issue with rusty gutters on very late 145s - doesn't affect the older cars.

I'm a staggering number of man hours (both my own, and those I've paid for) into the restoration of my 164, so this is not my first rodeo, either! The things we do for love...!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post: