Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 09:17   #30
Othen
Premier Member

Default Unintended Consequences

This is a nice unintended consequence.

In one of my early posts I mentioned that both the fan and the radio could be operated without the key. The radio really irritated me, so I pulled it out and found it had been fitted by someone with no knowledge of electricity at all, probably with a penknife. The permanent live and switched live leads had been twisted together and stuffed into a bit of chocky so it sort of worked (but was always live, it must have been really irritating).

I fitted the whole thing again with proper crimped connectors, and of course it would just the way Mr Sony intended it to now (turns on and off with the ignition). I had intended to get round to fixing the always live fan sometime.

Whilst waiting for the grocery store to open this morn I noticed that the fan had fixed itself, and now turned off with the accessories. Whoever fitted the radio must have inadvertently connected a permanent live (I don't know where it came from inside the console) to the accessory circuit, so the whole thing stayed live all the time, even without the key.

... that was a nice result, and another job off my list. Talking of which, the postie has just delivered the oil filter and the Osram H4 headlamp bulbs, so I have a couple of jobs to do this morn :-)

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: