View Single Post
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 17:27   #33
Chris152

Thanks Alan, I think there does come a point where you have to just take a chance, hopefully this won't turn out to have been a bad one! Apart from doing the belt, one of the first tasks will be getting it up on a lift - a friend deals in lovely classic sports cars and he's going to get someone to look at it with us. Hopefully that'll provide a plan for sorting any nasties underneath, and hopefully they won't be too expensive. And Dave suggested doing all the prep work we can for the welding, too, which we'll be doing. But at some point we'll get a MIG and some tuition, I'm interested to learn for a completely different purpose anyway.

I've been fretting all day trying to coordinate delivery of the car, which is apparently arriving later tonight. One thing I hadn't mentioned because it seems like it is just another thing we need to sort is the alarm - it just goes off arbitrarily and did so as we were viewing. It looks like the one in this thread:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...t=alarm&page=2
We discovered then that removing lead no 2 stopped it, and that that was the earth lead. I know nothing about electrics, so this will be a challenge, but is it safe to leave overnight without the earth connected, or should I disconnect the negative on the battery? Not looking to annoy the neighbours with it on the first night it's here!

Thanks. C eta - I mean safe as in, not a fire hazard - not safe as in, nobody will steal it!

Last edited by Chris152; Aug 18th, 2020 at 17:45.
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post: