View Single Post
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 21:52   #22
AndrewBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by vykkagur View Post
That's definitely a shoehorn job for sure! Switching to a different manifold would have alleviated the crowding on that side. I really can't see room for the radiator in that set-up, but it must be there. I certainly like the concept, but the stupid boy-racer "wheel arches and wide wheels" look really spoils the whole thing. The Mad Max beer-keg/tank is a humorous touch. Possibly the stock fuel tank was too far gone to be saved.

Looking at this conversion reminded me of another question I have about interchangability between the B30 and the 4-cyl engines, but I've posted that as a separate thread.

Luckily, a flush-grille modification on the Land Rover isn't necessary. The one I rode in years ago still had the Series IIA front end. All that was required were some basic sheetmetal mods to the engine side of the radiator panel. You have to use the 164 rad anyway, and since it's wider, thinner, and not as tall, you can move it farther forward into the radiator panel without affecting the outward appearance. Flat-fronting a Series ruins the distinctive front end and reduces it to Defender status.
yeah the 1800 is a bit of a bodge up for sure but it does show the size of the engine.

You are not wrong about the flat fronts on a series land rover, surely a step too far as styling goes and yes it brings down the series vehicles to a lesser beast even if that does look like a factory stage one model.