Thread: 262 General: - V6 not starting
View Single Post
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 20:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUGIE68 View Post
Quite simply, dont bother until you get injectors. they will leak and flood the engine, fill the manifold and sump full of petrol. Also are you sure you havent blocked the air balance pinhole on the tin gasket with sealant? Also check the wiring loom from the ignition module to the coil. It can chaff where it passes the strutop. Sand paper is no good for faces as it doesnt get the faces flat. Gotta use a honing stone. 127k on B27/early B28?? id be checking if it still has lobes on the cams. ( plenty engines and 262c parts here)
You can bypass the fuel pump relay to get the pump to run constantly to check pressure and to start the engine overriding the safety system. If it starts the relay is faulty. Common problem.
Thanks again Dougie68, good to know you have plenty of 262c parts. We have had the car running albeit on one bank, it will run on all 6 with easy start squirted down the intake, though we know this isn't ideal it was just to find out whether it would run first off. With the fuel distributor I did as the kit instructions were laid out so hopefully it'll be okay. Before we bought the car as a barn find somebody had been messing with the car as it looks like it had problems before. The fuel pump in the tank had been changed and wasn't pumping though it was working. We removed the pump to bench test onlly to discover the pump had been wired positive earth
Once we sorted this we had fuel at the engine bay filter and into the fuel distributor. This was where we decided to crank it over to see if it would start. It fired up on easy start then after a few more cranks the engine started but as I said ran on the right hand bank. We didn't run it for too long as the top rad hose is missing and no water in the system. I think it was only running off the cold start solenoid? We also noticed that the fuel distributor was leaking between the two halves and fuel was only dribbling out of the left banjo coupling which fed the left hand bank. That's when we bought the new kit and pulled apart the unit only to find that some one had been in there before and one of the small tops off the spring was not where it should have been and had punctured a hole in the tin gasket. I replaced everything that was in the kit and reassembled the unit, we then had fuel pressure from the fuel distributor although not what I thought would be great pressure. The car started again after a squirt of easy start, then stopped again, after a few tries it would fire on about 3 cylinders and kind of run roughly on fuel. There was no leaking from the fuel distributor which was good. Then it just would not start. But did on easy start. We pulled the injectors out and blew high pressure through them, 3 sprayed out fuel fairly evenly 2 injectors made loud squealy sound like half blocked and one would not blow through at all.
I am going to check the fuel pump under the car as we have been informed that there is a high pressure pump there and would like to check to see if this is working as well. Will also by pass the relay as you have suggested just to make sure there are no leaks or find leaks.
But I am sure it will defiantly need injectors as you say and will be first port of call to source some as they are fairly easy obtained here.
Many Thanks Pete
1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1978 For This Useful Post: