Thread: 240 General: - How to buy your basic tool kit
View Single Post
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 13:39   #14
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

I tend to mix and match....I have 2 snap-on ratchets, but use other makes of sockets with them.

Anyone know where I can buy a 7mm hex bit? No-one round here (even the "old-fashioned" proper hardware store, complete with 70 year old owner who knows where every single screw in his little treasure trove is) can supply me with one, and I'm fed up with scraping my knuckles everytime I use an allen key to release the bolts holding my brake caliper. All the sets you can buy have 6 & 8, but still can't find a 7mm.

I actually received a new complete toolkit for Christmas, but the main motivation for that was the fact that it came complete in a nice chest, which proper trays so that everything has a marked position as I dread leaving something inside the engine bay when I'm done. This way, with one quick visual check, I can see if anything is "missing in action".

When my grandfather passed away early last year, I inherited his tools, some dating from the 1930's. I even have all his all conversion charts for units of measurement etc from when he was working in engineering, he used to manufacture bombcasings during WW2. I've tried to sort through all his tools, but I'm still struggling to work out what exactly some of the more obscure items are for!