View Single Post
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 22:36   #7
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzobard View Post
Is it just tailgate trim that rattles, or can the boot catch rattle as well? My car has black tape wrapped around the pin on the boot floor, I assume because it may have been rattling. I’ve had my 850 for two years and have really enjoyed it, but the interior noise is maddening. I had a BMW E39 525 touring for many years - the interior was silent! Not as entertaining to drive as the 850.
As you look at the catch/striker, on the body, there are two rubber buffers at either side which, in addition to the above buffers, cushion the impact of tailgate lock. They each have a little nylon pad which rubs against the outer side of the lock body and over time become dry/worn and therefore squeak. Remove the rubbers, they just slide out with a little persuasion, clean off any crud and liberally coat them with silicone spray and refit. I think you can reverse them, left to right and vice versa, so you get more life out of them. You'll probably need to lift or remove the lower trim to gain proper access.

Also liberally apply silicone spray to all door rubbers, removing any excess with a clean microfiber cloth, and enjoy the silence

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post: