Thread: 240 General: - New 240 suspension/engine advice
View Single Post
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 20:21   #32
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That was the impression i got Alan, floating ideas, looking for feedback on them and also others. My aim was to provide food for thought really, the 240 is quite an adaptable body shell so will take a wide variety of engines relatively easily. It was engineered to accept the PRV V6 which is a 90 degree Vee so will easily accept V8 engines but that said, it will also take the B230FT is he wants an all-out screamer-turbo jobby.

The worrying thing here is nobody (including me although i deliberately omitted it earlier) has mentioned brakes! Add extra grunt and extra brakes will be needed.

The other thing i didn't mention is fitting stiffer springs isn't all it's cracked up to be especially on a limited budget. Usually if you have to wait a long time to do something like that, by the time you can afford to do it, your body no longer appreciates the gesture!

Also coil-overs, unless the car was orignally designed and fitted with them only really serve a useful purpose for track days to alter the ride height, rates and damping. I know someone who fitted a set of Koni front dampers and coil-overs on a Rover 800 which in fairness isn't that far removed from the original Chapman Strut, even on the softest setting (softer than the OE springs) the ride was crashy and harsh - in his words he "ruined it".
Fairly sure he said they were Koni, might have been Gaz thinking about it.

Also Tom down in the west country with his 740 hearse project has removed the coil-overs and found the ride is vastly improved.
I'm sure Olly appreciates all the advice, but unless he has a big win on the lotto this eve his university student loan isn't going to pay for FI, 2.3 litre engines, turbocharging, V8 engines, lowering springs, adjustable shock absorbers, bigger brakes or coil-over shock absorbers. He has probably realised by now that none of those things is going to happen soon, but he was excited about his new motor car (as I would be).

The consensus is that Olly should check the car over and make sure what he has is as good as it can be - once he finishes his degree, qualifies as a banker and is earning £250,000/year he can get the McLaren F1 engine, ceramic brakes and Ohlins suspension fitted (or just buy a better car).

It is good that we have Olly on board with the forum, and I look forward to hearing more about his 244DL.

:-)