Thread: Parking brake
View Single Post
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 18:04   #6
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcurson View Post
Just experienced this for the first time today, it was so stuck that when I tried to unstick it by moving off it was solid, eased off and then “rocked” it from D toR which eventually unstuck it. Is there anything that a complete novice to the xc60 could do to sort it or is it a trip to the garage.
Is the problem the electric part of the parking brake set-up, or is it more likely to be just the pads themselves?

My V70 has an electric brake and so the only experience I have is of this one car, but removing, cleaning and lubricating the rear pads and slide pins is no more difficult than the same operation on a car with a regular handbrake.

In fact, if anything on a Volvo it's easier because Volvo handbrakes actually use brake shoes within drums that are integral to the rear discs. Servicing or replacing those rear shoes is not for the faint-hearted - from bitter experience with both our S70 and our old S90, getting the disc/drums off is a challenge, especially if the shoes have delaminated, getting new shoes to fit and cables adjusted and to work properly can be a total nightmare.

If you're having problems with the electric parking brake then it's actually quite simple to strip, clean and re-install the pads. The only time you'd need to worry about the electrics part would be either if you we're fitting new discs and / or pads, or, if you'd activated the brake whilst the pads were out of the caliper. Under these circumstances you'd then need to wind in the electric motors.

But on the basis that electro-mechanical systems give the best service when they are used and kept cleaned and properly lubricated, I think it's best to use the electric brake as much as possible, and perform a little preventative maintenance from time to time.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote