View Single Post
Old May 12th, 2022, 22:52   #9
Dippydog
Premier Member

Well I've sourced another strut.Thing with this car is when she bought it it had a noise/vibration which the seller claimed he thought was the n/s wheel bearing so we replaced that[it was on its way out as it happens]but this didn't cure it.Revving the car while stood still it's as sweet as anything but with both front wheels in the air "drive" it and the noise/vibration was present and it sounded to be from the gearbox.Dropping the oil from the 'box and there were lots of metal particles present in the oil so another 'box has gone in but it's still pretty much the same.It was while doing the 'box swap that we noticed the spring hits the inner wing.the rear road wheel has always had a slight kink in the outer rim further investigation shows the inner rim is also kinked at an angle to the outer kink,so wondering if that wheel was originally on the front and has hit something hard enough the buckle the wheel and cause other damage[such as the strut or spring]the bottom arm doesn't appear bent though.The chassis legs appear straight and there's no sign of bending or creasing in any of the metalwork[inner wing etc]and panel gaps are even.One thing that has occurred to me is the posibility of the driveshaft being out of balance but unless the driveshaft from my P1 V70[also a manual 2.4 petrol-but none turbo where hers is the lpt]will fit so we can try that idea without cost I don't know how I'd prove that theory one way or the other.It will now be at least next Monday before anything can be done/tried.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post: