Thread: 1800: - P1800es Delores 1972 Blue
View Single Post
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 17:01   #56
Snow White

Default Oil leak on reversing

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Good evening, 'S.W.', I'm sorry to learn of Delores' incontinence.

I offer the following as a theory - nothing more - as I have no direct experience of the problem. A car that drips the odd drop of oil yes, but nothing like the problem that you are experiencing.

I think we can assume that it is gear box - not engine - oil. When you return from a run of any distance, the oil will be warm, therefore thinner, and more prone to leak.

When you select reverse gear, the counter rotation of the tail shaft is somehow picking up the oil and 'pumping' it out past the seal in a manner not dissimilar to an Archimedes' Screw. If the seal is slightly worn or scored, it may exacerbate this process.

Under normal forward driving conditions, the rotation of the tail shaft contrives to keep the oil where it rightly should be - i.e. contained within the gearbox.

As I say, just a theory. I may well be barking up completely the wrong tree!

Regards, John.
Thank you John - That is exactly the same sort of theory I was thinking of too, possibly a gear box a seal being worn and the oil being thinner following a longer drive and the hot weather. So that’s two of us barking but it may not be the wrong tree!

I have received some good advice from members , and appreciate everyone’s ideas and suggestions. SW
Snow White is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snow White For This Useful Post: