View Single Post
Old Apr 19th, 2022, 21:17   #64
brickman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foeux View Post
This sounds like a really loathsome time you are having.

I used MRG to replace the cambelt on a P1 V70 TDI. Within a year of it being done, the crank pulley had worked loose (not torqued up properly) and the engine was lunched. Not as majestic as your car by any means but it was inconvenient and sad to have to bin an otherwise reliable car at 244k miles.

For balance, they did some work on another P1 V70 TDI and it was fine.

Happy towing. Got any pics of the new car to gawp at?
The number of these engines (in various cars and vans) that were wrecked because folk don't know to read a manual (any belt kit that comes for your engine has a spec sheet in it!), re use of old bolts (there are places you can get away with this, and there are places you cannot!), folk who don't know how a torque wrench works etc*

*a local multi trade garage nearby, has a very good rep, I've used them and sent many that way. Have had lots of vw vans recently (with this engine) in for cambelt. Stopped by the other day and had to ask how they were doing it, as when I last spoke to them (previous year) they didn't own any 3/4" drive tools or a crank pulley counter hold. Said they had now stopped doing work onthat type of engine as "they always break a few weeks or months later, so we don't do them anymore".
Thats why. Because they are wrecking them through the negligence of reading a bit of paper. Dafties.