Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 08:46   #3158
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Purely as a hobby car, it could be an interesting choice with much to commend it, Alan.

Apropos Saab 'verts. You are right about the electromechanical hood on the late GM 900s and early 9-3s. That is why they switched to hydraulics on later cars. These were better, but the problem there was that (in 2017) reconditioned rams were £200 apiece - new ones (if you can source them) twice that - and there are five of 'em. Ask me how I know this!!

Later cars still, post 2002, were a complete redesign which both functioned better and lasted much longer. These cars also featured a reworked bulkhead which much reduced the inherent and vicious torque steer of the earlier cars. They are much more pleasant cars to both own and drive.

Regards, John.
Thank you for that John,

My experience with the Saab 900 convertible was not a happy one - for much the reasons you describe. I think the Vauxhall/Opel basis was probably an okay motor car (I never owned one, I only know that anecdotally) but the Saab designed and executed changes (the hood mechanism, the 'self-adjusting' clutch cable, the terrible steering and the position of the 'computer' that controlled the hood in such a vulnerable place come to mind) were the worst engineering I have seen on a motor car.

I'm pleased your (later) Saab convertible has turned out better :-).

Alan