View Single Post
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 15:20   #33
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I appreciate your thoughts and input everyone, thank you.

I've invested in my car and I think its very well looked after. I've had a look on Autotrader and I can't really see anything without spending thousands that really matches what I have. In fact, I'm finding some cars from alternative brands that don't have anywhere near the same level of equipment. Newer Volvo's are well equipped, but again, you're talking 4k-5k (asking prices) for anything half decent.

The only cars I see that are well equipped like the Volvo are Skoda Superb's and Vauxhall Insignia's, that's if I get something different. My Sister has an Insignia 2.0 litre diesel that's just passed its Irish NCT (like the MOT here) and there's 192,000 miles on it, and, its still going strong.

I'm not really doing many motorway miles, its all relatively local. I know people will say "Oh, that's bad for a diesel", but I do give it motorways runs to clean it out and I always use branded fuel, change the fuel filter regularly and so on. There's no black smoke out of it or anything and it pulls like a train.

I know buying a newer model doesn't always necessarily mean it'll be better... its likely that things will need doing to that too, which equals more expense. Unless, of course, you're lucky to find an example that's had the cam belt replaced already (with proof).

I can see why sticking with what you know may be the best option, despite any investment in the past or future meaning nothing or little come sale time. Its still an old car, no matter how much has been spent on it.

Although there's no knocks or bangs out of the car, I think the shock absorbers are coming up on time for renewal and the wishbones. There's no play in wishbones (yet), but the bushes are starting to split. That's easily £500+ in parts and another £300 at a garage to get them done. Let's say £700-£800 being realistic that needs to be spent on the existing car at some point in the future. Is it really worth it? Or should I get something newer with a petrol engine?
I don't think this figure was too far off the mark.

-New control arms (£180) - Meyle (Parts for Volvo website)
-Shocks (full set) - £221 - Bilstein B4's (Parts for Volvo website
-Top mounts - £100 (front). I've got a spare set of rear mounts. Price from a local motor factor, as I don't like the ones that Parts for Volvo sell. They're called "ProParts Sweden". Never heard of them = me not using.

Call it £500 in parts, then £350 labour including alignment.

These prices are based on £60 per hour labour, which most garages around here are charging minimum. Parts prices are from Parts for Volvo website.

So £850 to spend on a car that's 17 years old. Not sure what to do.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 28th, 2024 at 15:24.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote