View Single Post
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 09:18   #14
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorium View Post
I had a 2015 XC60 D4 Auto FWD for about three years and covered around 60k miles.

Torque steer was a problem for me (might have been exacerbated by it being an R Design) and MPG was also fairly average - I routinely got around 40mpg, so not as good as I'd hoped. Also be aware that some early D4 VEA suffer with 'relatively' high oil consumption, mine was fine, but some owners have issues.

I'm now back driving an AWD, and far prefer it over the FWD, but each to their own. If you do find an XC60 you like, be sure to give it a decent test drive.
Ah yes - the torque steer - I remember that. It wasn't too bad at first but when the factory ContiEcoContacts started to wear, it got worse. I rotated the tyres and that improved it but it got worse again. When the all 4 tyres were changed at 43k with Pirelli Scorpion - it was much better but still there especially on loose surfaces. It's likely to be worse on R-Design cars with bigger wheels, mine was an SE LUX. It wasn't a big problem but it was there alright.

Torque steer simply isn't an issue on the AWD cars.

Been thinking about it - the 2WD cars only really made sense when :

a) a new company car and low CO2's was essential for BIK tax - hence most 2WD's are manual (and this was the case for me) an AWD car would have been a hundred quid a month more in tax maybe?

b) a new car and someone wants a SUV style for mobility etc. but never leaves suburbia and hence the 2WD cars are cheaper.

But second hand in private ownership, the 2WD cars won't be as attractive as AWD versions (in my humble opinion, having had both...)
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Dec 4th, 2021 at 09:23.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: