View Single Post
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 10:20   #2
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
Reading another thread made me ask myself "can the roof be closed manually?". I've had a look in the manual but couldn't find any mention of it. Earlier Volvos I've had (metal roofs) had a means of closing manually. For now an academic questions but who knows what the future may bring. Current Volvos are not built like their forbearers.
Methinks you look back through rose-tinted spectacles. In my opinion cars of most brands continue to make strides at improving quality. However, when you get to a certain level of build quality it becomes increasingly challenging to improve on what is already superb quality.

Don't mistake certain design detail issues with 'poor quality' though. They are distinct things, very different, although the former may impact on the perception of the latter to the consumer/customer, at least during the early days of ownership.

'Quality' means different things to different people. To me it means a combination of simple design in construction [not necessarily a simple product], safety, reliability, longevity and the aesthetic design.

I believe none have been better in the past than they are today. Not just for Volvo but it applies to most brands. A classic example of the reverse is from the very late 1990's and early 2000's when Mercedes Benz really did, very obviously, decrease the quality of their vehicles in all areas apart from safety. It was strikingly obvious with every new model introduced during that era. Big mistake!