Thread: 1800: - 1972 pv1800es
View Single Post
Old May 8th, 2021, 21:23   #8
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
Had to look up bleifrei. I presume its referring to unleaded gasoline? An unmodified B20E or F will run on unleaded petrol with a RON of around 100. However, it will incur gradual recession of the exhaust valves into the exhaust valve seats. This is a slow process so it will depend on how much the car has been driven with unleaded fuel.

When B20 engines have valve work done on them hardened exhaust seats can be installed in the head to eliminate the problem. If the car is driven infrequently the owner may elect not to bother with the cost of having hardened seats installed. You could ask if the engine has had major service work done on it and if so, were hardened exhaust seats installed as part of that service.

Without knowing the nature of your friend's conversation with the seller, I would be less trusting of the adds veracity. If the claims are factual then it should be relatively easy for the seller to provide invoices documenting the work done or photographic evidence. When you outsource significant long term restoration work it is common for the shops to provide photographic evidence of progress as part of the request for interim payment. If there are no shop invoices or photographs of the restoration work then I would be assiduous in terms of my physical inspection of the car. If you can't do your own body and paint work, having to outsource a major sheet metal repair and body repaint could easily exceed $ 30,000 Cdn.
Super duper.

Yes indeed, bleifrei = unleaded gas. Thank you for your explanation, I had a feeling the B20 motor would run on such.

My friend is in dialogue with the seller, the detail is up to her - my part in this enterprise is make sure the car is as described and to drive it back (about 60 miles I should think).

I have a good feeling about this car - I’m looking forward to seeing and driving it.

Alan