View Single Post
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 20:22   #2
miraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwinchester View Post
So for those who have followed my story of 760 woe here is the next chapter! Now I have a running B280E V6 after issues at every turn, that now sounds rather good (after a fair amount of plugging exhaust holes!) So now I have a runner, I’ve done an oil and concentrated EG coolant change as per advice, and also a brake fluid flush…(which has resulted in me having to change blocked flexi hoses that were rusted solid; yet another nightmare job).

I’d just started to get excited about it again after hating the sight of it!

Before I did the oil and coolant change, the car was running fine, no oil in coolant. Now I’ve changed the fluids (after reverse flushing the system) I’m getting oil in the expansion tank. No coolant loss, no white exhaust smoke. I’ve driven it around local private roads prior to MOT and it drives well. Does anyone have any ideas or is it most likely that I’m looking at a head gasket?

The car also isn’t charging, no more than 12v across the battery. Is this most likely a duff alternator or do these cars have any other quirks that I don’t know about? Looks like a tricky job too, the belt runs on the v6 look…er…challenging 😭

Once again advice welcome before I decide what to do with it! 👍

If the gearbox is automatic, check the color of the oil on the gearbox dipstick (if it is the color of coffee with milk, it is a symptom of mixing water with oil in the gearbox.
If the gasket under the head is different.
If there is no more water in the tank and no water is getting into the oil in the engine (the color of the oil is the same as in the box) then continue driving as there are no major symptoms.
Compression can sometimes get into the water system.
There will be air bubbles in the expansion tank.
As for charging the battery, it is a regulator or an alternator.
It should charge about 13.4-13.8 V.
I have made several such engines in Poland. Fun job because he does not have the entire engine block, only cylinder liners and an external engine block.
The gasket is just like the engine block.
Under each cylinder liner there are paper seals, which are used to adjust the height of the sleeve to the seal.
And fun in the contextual alignment of two timing chains.
I have all the documentation and knowledge. I will help if you need to.

If the oil in the engine is the same color in the automatic gearbox and there is no more water or oil in the engine or in the gearbox, the head gaskets may leak.
If the engine is running smoothly and it is driving well then do nothing but watch if it does not deepen.
Sometimes it does, but it is minimal oil consumption and will color the water in the cooling system.
With my second car, Peugeot 207 1.4 petrol, I have had it since the beginning and my wife drives it for 11 years and has 130,000 km.
There is always oil in the tank and nothing happens.
On the Lexus IS 200, each oil leaks in the 6 cylinder and continues to drive. This is their disadvantage.

Sorry for the styling but writing in English is not doing well.
I am a VOLVO mechanic in Dublin.

mirazwojnewry@gmail.com

Last edited by miraz; Oct 10th, 2021 at 20:36.
miraz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to miraz For This Useful Post: