View Single Post
Old May 5th, 2011, 15:03   #22
littonlad

Default Can I get an opinion please?

I have a 2000 V70 that has what I think is the ETM problem. It's a Marinelli ETM with a white sticker so I don't believe it's been replaced at all.
I get the ETM light on 'only' when the car is in D(drive) and I'm either pulling away slowly or stuck in slow moving traffic at that speed where the auto box can't quite make it's mind up whether to change down or not. When it's on the engine exhibits what I'd call rapid hunting. Sometimes the engine management light will come on, sometimes not. Either way if I stop, switch off, then start again the ETM clears and the car runs fine again till it happens next time. A battery disconnect clears the engine management light.
To circumvent the problem I've taken to driving it like a semi-auto. Instead of using D(drive) all the time I pull away in 3, then change up to 4 and D when necessary. When slowing down I drop it back to 4 and/or 3. It seems to work for me, but I'd like to get the problem fixed once and for all.
Also, I've seen several for sale on fleabay at various prices. One guy is saying that the one he has for sale is 'plug and play', ie for my car/year no programming is necessary. Is this likely to be true?
Any advice most gratefully received.
John
littonlad is offline   Reply With Quote